A Mumbai woman has lost her hard-earned sum of Rs 11 lakh after falling into the web of online fraudsters. They had to lose this huge amount of money when they tried to get help to withdraw their bank account online statement.
On the pretext of installing remote access software on her mobile phone, fraudsters hacked her bank account and stole money. The incident took place on July 28, and the Chatushrungi police registered an FIR on Saturday after an investigation was lodged by the housewife.
“This woman had an account in a public sector bank. On July 28, he visited the bank’s website and tried to get an online statement of his bank account. However, he could not remove the statement then. So he searched online for the helpline number,’ says Inspector Ankush Chintaman of Chatushrungi Police.
So when they search for a helpline number online, they get a number. When she called the number, the recipient promised to help her and asked her to download remote access software on the mobile phone. Believing this stranger, the innocent woman downloads the software accordingly. Not only that, he also shares his bank account details. After this, the scammers requested her to try again to get the bank account statement using the bank’s website. Meanwhile, these fraudsters stole the money in her bank account.
“We got her bank account details and the bank account details from which the money was transferred. “Further investigation is underway,” said Inspector Ankush Chintaman of Chatushrungi Police, Times of India reported.
How to be safe…?
It is impossible to predict how such scams will happen. But, it is very important that we are on our guard. Only then can we escape from such deception.
- First of all do not respond to any unknown calls, messages when it comes to your bank account. Do not share your bank account information with anyone.
- Never share OTP with callers claiming to be bank officials.
- Trust only the official website and your bank’s relationship manager for any help regarding bank account.
- Do not call any other helpline numbers available online other than the helpline number on the official website.
- If you are facing problems in online banking it is better to visit the nearest branch of the bank.
- Do not install any remote access software or other applications suggested by unknown persons. They can steal and misuse not only your bank account but also your other private information.
- Make sure you are calling and emailing reliable helpline numbers.