The authorities of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) recorded more than 296 thousand new patients with high fever per day. Now the total number of confirmed cases has exceeded 820 thousand people, the North Korean KCNA reports.
The North Korean government for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic reported the presence of infected, and it calls the disease an “unknown fever”, but the incoming data suggests that this is a coronavirus infection.
“According to the state headquarters for the prevention of Pandemics, more than 296,180 people fell ill with a fever, more than 252,400 recovered and 15 died from the evening of May 13 to 18:00 on May 14 in the country,” the message says.
Earlier in the day, it became known that the South Korean administration plans to organize talks with Pyongyang to discuss assistance in combating the spread of COVID-19 in the DPRK.
It is noted that an official appeal will be sent to North Korea following interagency consultations.
As President Kim Jong-un said, due to the spread of coronavirus infection, North Korea faced the “biggest shock” in its history.
On May 12, the North Korean leader said that North Korea had “suddenly” an emergency due to the coronavirus, after which he demanded that the government take measures to stop the spread of the disease. In particular, he ordered to block counties and cities due to the fact that the first case with the Omicron strain was detected in the country.
So far, the country has not officially reported a single case of COVID-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.