Digital Desk, New Delhi. Amidst the outbreak of Kovid-19, more than 13 million people in the Chinese city of Xian have been ordered by the authorities to stay at home. This information has been given in a recent BBC report. Since December 9, 143 infection cases have been registered in the northern city. The report said that under the new restrictions announced on Wednesday, only one person per family is allowed to leave the house every two days to buy essential goods.
China has adopted a strict zero-Covid strategy, using massive testing and lockdowns to contain the outbreak. The country is on high alert for COVID, as it prepares to host the 2022 Winter Olympics in February. The report states that residents of Xi’an, known for its terracotta warriors, are not allowed to leave the city unless they get permission from the authorities to do so. The ban went into effect from midnight local time on Thursday.
Millions of tests have been conducted in Shaanxi province, where Xi’an is located. Bus stations have already been closed for long distances and checkpoints have been set up on motorways in the city. A large number of flights from Xi’an’s airport have been canceled. The report said non-essential businesses have closed and local government employees have been asked to work from home. Last weekend authorities had already closed indoor facilities such as bars, gyms and cinemas as a precaution, according to the country’s state-run newspaper Global Times.
Officials say the outbreak is related to the delta variant of Kovid and does not mention the new variant Omicron. State media reported this week that Xi’an is facing a double Pandemic as several cases of severe fever have been reported. The death rate here has also been recorded at a higher level as compared to other parts of the country. This is the reason why the government wants to ensure adequate arrangements and restrictions for Kovid here.