Phishing attack is also a type of cyber attack. In this, hackers send fraudulent messages that appear to be from a reputable source. If you are deceived into believing that this prestigious name is genuine, it is a difficult case. These types of attacks are usually done via email.
It is now common for cyber criminals to send links to launch cyber attacks. A lot of awareness is also being created about the tactics used by cyber crime fraudsters to target the innocent. So in many cases people are now not clicking on suspicious links. Realizing this, cyber criminals have found a different way. Sending the same QR codes through email. Fraudulent QR codes allow users to simply scan them and they’re done. Criminals are taking advantage of this feature to target innocent people. There is no way to check and block the QR code. Also, the QR code does not tell which link will open when scanned. Thus fraudsters use QR codes to encode links to phishing and scam pages.
Users are redirected to a fake website when such QR codes are scanned. It asks for important private information such as email credentials and financial information. When you share this information, it gets stolen by hackers and they can use it for monetary gain.
It is very important for users to be careful about such scams. Here are some tips for that.
- First of all, understand that an email with a QR code is dangerous. Treat an email as malicious if it contains code.
- You may receive some fake email alert or notification with a message like your password is about to expire or you may lose access to your mailbox. If the email contains a QR code it is more likely to take you to a malicious website.
- There will also be a message saying that by scanning the QR code, the problem can be solved immediately.
- This email message states that this email message is from a trusted source and is advised to be treated with caution. Otherwise, such emails contain enough threatening words to make you believe that there is a bigger problem.
- It does not have any proper authentication system. So your only option is to scan the QR code. Thus, users should immediately realize that a web page asking them to share their private information is a fraudulent link.
Do not be fooled by any threats or warnings. You be careful. Check as many sources as possible. Contact official organizations and get information.