Seven people died in Donetsk during shelling by the Armed Forces of Ukraine (AFU). This was announced on Saturday, September 17, by the head of the representative office of the Luhansk People’s Republic (LPR) in the Russian Federation, Rodion Miroshnik.
He noted that a total of 25 civilians were injured.
According to him, Ukrainian nationalists are hitting the city with 152 and 155 mm artillery.
Earlier that day, Izvestia correspondent Valentin Trushnin said that the center of Donetsk was again under fire from Ukrainian troops.
Also on Saturday, the mayor of Donetsk, Aleksey Kulemzin, said four people were killed in an attack by Ukrainian militants. According to Kulemzin, fragments from CAESAR howitzer shells were also found in the Voroshilovsky district.
Eight other people are known to have been injured. In addition, as a result of the shelling of Donetsk, a reporter for the Venezuelan TV channel TeleSUR was wounded.
On February 24, Russia announced the start of a special operation to protect the civilian population of Donbass. It began against the backdrop of the situation in the region that worsened in mid-February. Then the authorities of the DPR and LPR reported on the increased shelling by the Ukrainian troops, announced the evacuation of the civilian population in the Russian Federation and asked for recognition of independence. On February 21, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed the relevant decrees.
For more up-to-date videos and details about the situation in Donbass, watch the Izvestia TV channel.