What you need to know:
Mexico is two games away against Honduras from going to the Copa América. If you lose, you would still have a playoff option
Much stir was caused by the news that six Concacaf teams will play in the 2024 Copa América. That naturally means that Mexico can return, buuuut, he’s not sure of his place yet. Must defeat Honduras first.
The 2024 Copa América will be played with 16 teams and it would be a shame not to be among them.
Mexico goes against Honduras for its ticket to the Copa América 2024: Transmission and schedule
Well the truth is that looks so that Mexico does not have any problems advancing to the Copa América 2024. Since Concacaf revealed the procedure to elect its representatives, it was clear that Two games would be enough for Mexico to qualify… two games that, we now know, will be against Honduras.
Yes, just two games. It happens and it turns out that Mexico qualified for the final round to seek a place in the 2024 Copa América automatically. That thanks to his position in the FIFA world ranking.
Mexico will face Honduras this November 17 in Tegucigalpa. The José de la Paz Herrera Ucles National Stadium is the venue for the match that will start at 8 p.m..
To follow him on television there are two options and in full rivalry. TUDN with André Marín and David Faitelson are an option, in addition, There is always the counterpart of TV Azteca with Christian Martinoli, Luis García, Zague and the “Immortal” Jorge Campos.
|Game||Date and Time||Stadium||TV||Links|
|Honduras vs Mexico||Friday, November 17
|National José de la Paz Herrera Ucles||Aztec Sports
This was the classification of Concacaf (and Mexico) for the Copa América 2024
And why does Mexico have to play against Honduras to find its ticket? The thing was like this: Concacaf’s qualification for the 2024 Copa América was through the Nations League, which is divided into three leagues: A, B and C. There were 16 teams in League A for the 2023-24 edition and those 16 are the ones that had the right to fight for a place in the Conmebol tournament.
- The Nations League League A 2023-24 It had two groups of six teams and the remaining 4 advanced directly to the quarterfinals. Those 4 that advanced directly were the best classified in the March 2023 FIFA ranking (United States, Mexico, Costa Rica and Canada).
- From the two aforementioned groups, two teams qualified, four in total: Jamaica, Honduras, Panama and Trinidad and Tobagowhich They join the 4 already qualified in the quarterfinals.
- The four winners of those quarterfinals (to be played round-trip in November 2023) They will qualify for the Copa América 2024.
Now, In case Mexico loses those quarterfinals against Honduras, it could still go to the 2024 Copa América. The four losers will play a single-game playoff in March 2024, and The two winners also go to the Copa América.
Everything is a little mixed up, but the point is that Mexico has practically secured a ticket to the Copa América 2024. As I said, it would be embarrassing not to go with all the facilities, although well, the Women’s National Team has already shown that even with six safe places in Concacaf they can be left out of a large tournament.
The road to the 2026 World Cup is ready
Ahh by the way, the format to qualify for the 2026 World Cup. Mexico, the United States and Canada already have a secure ticket, so the remaining 32 Concacaf teams will look for one of the three direct tickets or one of the two playoff tickets in three rounds:
- First round: The 4 lowest ranked teams in the FIFA ranking will play in two series and the two losers will be eliminated.
- Second round: The 30 remaining teams will be divided into six groups of 5 teams. The top two places from each advance to the third round.
- Third round: Three groups of 4 teams. The first places of each qualify for the 2026 World Cup and the two best seconds go to the intercontinental repechage.