- Belgium argues that Belgium is the source of French fries.
- McDonald’s, the fast food chain, is the largest seller of French fries in the world.
- There are at least 18 types of French fries in the world today.
1. Although the name is French, it is not certain whether the French fries are actually from France. Belgium also claims that Belgium is the source of French fries. The Belgian people have been eating French fries since 1781. Since it is difficult to catch fish from the river in winter, the potatoes are cut into the shape of a fish and eaten fried. But France claims that the French fries were invented by them.
Also read: Burger Vita Bezos, Newspaper Buffet! The first work done by billionaires
2. If so, why not the name Belgian fries? During World War I, the language of the Belgian army was French. As a result, many in Belgium mistakenly thought they were French. This is why it is called the French fries. In the riverside villages of Belgium, French fries are now known as ‘Flemish fries’.
3. French fries are known by different names in different countries. The French fries are called Pom Fritz in France and Patatas Ferritas in Spain. In England, chips also mean French fries.
4. McDonald’s, the fast food chain, is the largest seller of French fries in the world. About 7% of the total potatoes produced in the United States are sold as French fries through McDonald’s.
5. There is still controversy over who owns the French fries, but the French Fries Museum is located in Bruges, Belgium. It is called the Freight Museum.
Also read: 5 dishes that even millionaires think is second to none
6. French fries are fast food but more nutritious than you might think. French fries contain all the vitamins found in potatoes, including vitamin B6, vitamin C, magnesium and iron.
7. There are at least 18 types of French fries in the world today, including waffle french fries and curly fries.
8. The first French fries vending machine was established in 1982 in Australia. Today, French fries vending machines operate in various countries, including China, Belgium, Israel, Slovakia and the Netherlands.
Also read: Yoghurt Chili Thonattam for us! 5 year old Darshan’s ‘marketing’ song
9. The people of Belgium are at the forefront of eating the most French fries in the world. One-third of the population regularly eats French fries. French fries are mainly dipped in mayonnaise.
10. French fries are also considered the ‘national snack’ of the Netherlands.