Israel on Saturday ruled out any immediate cease-fire in Gaza, saying Palestinian militants must stop firing rockets from an arsenal it has indicated could run out within days, as its planes continued strikes in the enclave.
Today, Thursday, the Israeli army spokesman announced that the Chief of Staff had approved preemptive and offensive military plans for the future.
Herzi Halevi added, “As the Islamic Jihad movement continues to launch rockets, the army will continue targeted killings and attacks in a precise and increasing manner, as in recent days.”
No cease-fire talks
In the context, the Israeli National Security Adviser, Tzachi Hanegbi, said during an event in a municipality near Jerusalem today, “We are not holding talks for a cease-fire,” adding that Israel currently attaches the highest priority to shooting at militants.
On the other hand, the Al-Quds Brigades, the military wing of the Jihad Movement, announced that it would continue firing rockets, as the confrontation entered its fifth day. “The movement has prepared itself for months of confrontation, and we have a long spirit and a great loyal popular support,” she said.
Since dawn today, Saturday, rockets were fired from Gaza, which led to the sound of warning sirens and the rushing of Israelis in the border areas to shelters. At least two people were seriously injured by shrapnel, both Palestinians from Gaza working in Israel.
The Israeli army said earlier that its planes had bombed command centers and rocket launchers for Islamic Jihad in Gaza. Huge clouds of smoke billowed as powerful explosions resounded from bombed locations.
In the Deir al-Balah area in the central Gaza Strip, a building was completely destroyed, and nearby houses were bombed. No injuries were reported as residents combed through piles of rubble.
Iyad Abu Zaher, director of Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital, said that the air strikes on a house also damaged the nearby hospital, injuring a number of nursing staff and patients with flying shrapnel.
A new formula for a cease-fire.
Meanwhile, Egypt, the traditional mediator between the two warring parties, is seeking a truce that would put an end to this new escalation of violence between Gaza and Israel, the most dangerous since August 2022.
A Palestinian source close to the talks said, “Egypt presented on Friday evening a new formula for the ceasefire, which the Palestinian side will study,” explaining that “Egypt is also waiting for Israel’s response.”
Israeli public television reported that Tel Aviv had received an “amended version” of an Egyptian proposal for a ceasefire, without further details.
In Washington, US State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said that Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman stressed, in contact with Israeli Minister of Strategic Affairs, Ron Dermer, “the urgent need to reach a cease-fire agreement in order to avoid any further loss of civilian life.” “.
It is noteworthy that among the dead Palestinians were six military leaders of the Jihad who were directly targeted by Israel, civilians, including children, and fighters from the Jihad and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine.