The Palestinian Ministry of Health said that one person was killed by Israeli gunfire in the West Bank city of Nablus before dawn on Thursday, as Palestinian fighters said they were confronting Israeli soldiers and settlers in the area.
In a separate statement, the Palestine Red Crescent said that at least four people were wounded by gunshots in clashes with Israeli forces in the eastern part of Nablus, two of whom were in serious condition.
On Wednesday evening, Palestinian media reported that gunmen from the “Al-Quds Brigades”, the military wing of the “Islamic Jihad Movement”, were engaged in violent clashes with Israeli forces that stormed east of Nablus in the West Bank.
It quoted the “Quds Brigades” as saying that its fighters detonated an explosive device in an Israeli military vehicle.
The Palestinian News Agency said earlier that Israeli forces stormed the eastern region of Nablus to secure the entry of settlers to the shrine of Prophet Joseph.
The area of Joseph’s Tomb witnessed frequent clashes between Palestinians and Israeli forces.
Violence has escalated in the West Bank over the past fifteen months, with an increase in Israeli raids and settler attacks on Palestinian villages.