It is not clear which countries are banned
The report also states that this decision has been approved by the Ministry of Social Affairs. But the report does not say which countries have been stopped from granting visas. It is also not clear what is the reason behind such a decision or when the decision will come into effect. An official response to the report is yet to come out.
The decision comes after banning the visit visa
Last June, the Kuwaiti authorities stopped issuing family visit visas to expatriates. After this, there has been a report that work permits have been stopped for some nationals. At that time, the authorities informed that the granting of visas has been suspended as part of the formulation of new procedures in this regard and this is only a temporary measure. Earlier there were reports that around 20,000 expatriates who came to the country on visit visas are staying here illegally without returning from Kuwait even after the expiry date. Based on this, the Ministry of Home Affairs issued an order suspending the granting of visit visas. In this regard, it is considered that there is no chance of resuming the granting of visas without proper and robust procedures in place.
The opposition against expatriates is strong
There are strong accusations in the country that the expatriates, who are the majority of the population, are destroying the country’s economy and that the expatriates are enjoying most of the country’s resources. The demand to control the expatriate population is also emerging from many quarters. Parliament members and others came forward with this demand. In the meantime, the news has come out that the granting of visas to some countries has been stopped. It was decided to charge more fees for various government services from non-residents than from natives
66 percent of the population are foreigners
34 percent of Kuwait’s population of 44.64 lakhs are natives. The remaining 66 percent are non-residents. Indians are the largest among the diaspora communities. It is estimated that there are more than 8,63,000 Indian expatriates in Kuwait. Not only that, the figures also show that there has been a huge increase in the number of Indians who have come to Kuwait in the last six months. According to the figures published by the Public Authority for Civil Information, 26,928 Indians arrived in Kuwait in search of work and so on between the end of last December and the end of this June. After Indians, the largest expatriate community in Kuwait is from Egypt. It is estimated that there are 6,10,860 Egyptians in Kuwait.