Today, Saturday, the Lebanese army announced that it had found missile launchers and a number of missiles ready for launch, indicating that it was trying to dismantle them.
A statement from the army added on its Twitter account: “A unit of the army found missile launchers and a number of missiles that had been prepared for launch a few days ago, and work is underway to dismantle them.”
On Thursday, the Lebanese army also announced that it had found and dismantled several missiles intended for launch in the vicinity of the towns of Zibqin and Qalila in the Tire district.
Northern Israel was subjected to a barrage of rockets on Thursday, prompting the Israeli army to respond with concentrated artillery bombardment of several towns in southern Lebanon and launch massive air raids on the Gaza Strip during the night, amid international calls for calm and restraint.
This comes while the Lebanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said today that the complaint submitted by Lebanon to the Security Council holds Israel responsible for the repercussions of any escalation that might blow up the situation on its southern borders, in reference to the Israeli bombing that targeted southern Lebanon recently.
The Lebanese Foreign Ministry added in a statement that Beirut warned in the complaint of the seriousness of the recent developments in the region, especially the villages in southern Lebanon.
In the complaint, Lebanon also expressed its refusal to use its territory as a “platform for destabilization,” stressing that it retains its “legitimate right to self-defense.”
Beirut stressed that keeping the lines of communication open with the United Nations and the UN mission forces (UNIFIL) is “the best way to solve problems and maintain calm and stability.”
Earlier today, the Foreign Minister in the Lebanese caretaker government, Abdullah Bou Habib, said that it was decided to send a complaint to the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Antonio Guterres, and the Security Council, to denounce the Israeli “attacks” on Lebanon by air, land, and sea.
The Prime Ministry stated on Twitter that Prime Minister Najib Mikati held a meeting with the Foreign Minister to discuss the Israeli attacks on southern Lebanon and the missiles fired from Lebanese territory towards Israel.
She added that the complaint, which Bou Habib announced that it was sent through the Lebanon mission to the United Nations, also includes an affirmation of Beirut’s commitment to Security Council Resolution No. 1701 regarding the cease-fire between Lebanon and Israel.