The Community of Madrid is the second EU region with the most people employed in high-tech sectors, only behind Isle-de-France (France), while Catalonia occupies fifth place and Andalusia, 24th.
Eurostat data, analyzed by Servimedia, indicate that 9.8 million people worked in high-tech sectors across the EU last year, representing 4.9% of total employment. Men represented 67.2%, while women were the remaining 32.8%.
As for the countries, Germany (approximately 2,297,000 people), France (1,246,400), Spain (907,300), Poland (589,700) and the Netherlands (532,000) stand out. At the regional level, the classification is led by the Ile-de-France, also known as the Paris region (419,600 employed people) and the Community of Madrid (289,000), ahead of the German region of Oberbayern (233,000) and the Italian region of Lombardy ( 229,800).
Catalonia is fifth (200,700), while other notable Spanish regions are Andalusia (24th, 98,800), the Valencian Community (39th, 69,800) and the Basque Country (57th, 55,400). At the lower end, five regions had fewer than 3,000 people employed in high-tech sectors: Molise (Italy) and Eastern Macedonia and Thrace, Peloponnese, Epirus and Central Greece (Greece). WOMEN Women represented almost a third (32.8%) of the total number of people employed in EU high-tech sectors in 2022.
The Community of Madrid repeats the second position (94,900 employees), only behind Ile de France (151,400). The proportion of women in high-tech jobs in EU regions ranged from a high of 50.2% in Western Transdanubia (Hungary), the only one with more female than male jobs in that sector in the entire European Union, to 8 .3% in Thessaly (Greece).