Digital Desk, Kyiv. The Russian army has launched a major offensive in the Donetsk region of eastern Ukraine. The General Staff in Ukraine’s capital Kyiv gave this information in a statement issued on Friday.
The enemy is conducting an offensive in the Donetsk region in the direction of Bakhmut and Avdievka, the DPA news agency quoted the statement as saying.
The aim of the attack is to deploy Russian forces to attack Soledar and Bakhmut and to expand Russian control west of the city of Donetsk, the statement said. Soledar and Bakhmut are that part of the defensive line east of the major cities of Sloviansk and Kramatorsk, which were home to more than half a million people before the war.
The area is still under the control of Ukrainian government forces in the wider eastern Donbass region and heavily fortified by the Ukrainian side. The statement of the General Staff also said that the Russian attack near Bakhmut was not successful, while fighting continues near Avdievka, directly north of the city of Donetsk.
This cannot be independently confirmed, but it is in line with earlier reports of escalating fighting in the area after a brief pause. Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said in a statement earlier that due to heavy losses, several Ukrainian brigades had withdrawn from their positions near Soledar, Avdivka and Bakhmut.
Disclaimer: This is a news published directly from IANS News Feed. With this, the team of bhaskarhindi.com has not done any editing of any kind. In such a situation, any responsibility regarding the related news will be with the news agency itself.