The war between Israel and Hamas marked 110 days this Wednesday with a powerful offensive by the Israeli Army in the south of the Gaza Strip, which continues to claim Palestinian lives, and with no truce agreement in sight that would allow the release of the hostages held by the Islamist group holds captives. Qatar, which together with Egypt and the United States acts as mediator, has already informed Netanyahu’s government of the rejection of his latest offer.
Israel would have requested the release of the more than one hundred hostages who remain captive in Gaza in exchange for the release of some Palestinians imprisoned in Israeli jails and a temporary ceasefire, according to several Israeli media, which cite senior officials to assure that Hamas leaders have hardened their stance in the negotiations.
In recent weeks, Hamas had said it was willing to release the hostages as long as Israel committed to a permanent ceasefire, a condition that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has so far refused. However, optimism remains, now that Hamas proposes an agreement that includes the release of hostages in exchange for a ceasefire that lasts between 10 and 15 years, according to Channel 12.
Meanwhile, the Palestinian press assures that Israel will eventually give in to Hamas’s conditions, taking into account the growing international criticism against the Israeli offensive, which since October 7 has left 25,700 dead (most of them children and women), 63,740 wounded, 8,000 missing, according to Gazan authorities, and almost two million displaced in the Gaza Strip.
“Everything published about the (truce) agreement aims to deceive Israeli public opinion and shift responsibility to the (Palestinian) resistance, as well as avoid the cost that Netanyahu and his government will have to pay,” said Mahmoud Mardawi, an official from Hamas, to the Quds News Network agency, affiliated with Hamas and Islamic Jihad.
Israel will end up accepting the conditions of the Islamist group “because the cards that the resistance has are strong and real. No Israeli government or prime minister can evade them,” he added, assuring that the war will not continue indefinitely because “international support for the occupation (Israeli) is falling apart.
Netanyahu also faces internal pressure for a ceasefire. The prime minister is going through a popularity crisis that worsened with the war; The conflict broke out after an attack by Hamas, which caused some 1,200 deaths, with the taking of 250 hostages. Relatives of the hostages hold increasingly large demonstrations to demand that Israel accept a permanent ceasefire and the release of Palestinian prisoners, in order to recover their loved ones.
This Wednesday, thousands of Israelis took to the streets of Tel Aviv, a day after a demonstration led by women did the same. Furthermore, since January 21, a sit-in was set up near Netanyahu’s residence in Jerusalem with daily protests, which today brought together half a thousand people.
In late November, a week-long truce allowed the release of 105 hostages in exchange for 240 Palestinian prisoners. In total, 110 hostages have been freed and it is estimated that 130 remain captive in the Strip, although 28 have reportedly died.
Three days without medical attention in Khan Yunis
At least four Palestinian children died during the night of this Wednesday after a bombardment by the Israeli Army against a residential area within the Nuseirat refugee campin the center of the Gaza Strip.
Israeli artillery and aviation attacks, however, continue to focus on the southern city of Khan Younis, where the Palestinian Ministry of Health has so far reported 45 injuries, 15 of them in serious condition, according to a report. statement published on his Facebook social network account. Furthermore, the Ministry itself has assured that the Khan Yunis medical teams have not been able to care for or provide the necessary assistance to the wounded for three days.
For its part, the Palestinian Red Crescent has denounced that Israeli forces continue to besiege both the Al Amal hospital and its headquarters in Khan Younis, even prohibiting the movement of humanitarian teams or ambulances. “The Palestinian Red Crescent expresses its deep concern for the safety of its staff, patients and the thousands of displaced people seeking refuge in the hospital and at the headquarters of the Palestinian Red Crescent,” the organization said in its statement. social network account
Shortly before, A group of protesters gathered at the Kerem Shalom border crossing have blocked the entry of more than fifty humanitarian aid trucks into the Gaza Strip. as a sign of protest against the entry of supplies when Hamas is still holding more than one hundred hostages.
Israel’s offensive on Gaza began after the attacks carried out by Hamas on October 7, which left 1,200 dead and 240 hostages. The continuous bombings and ground operations have already left 25,700 Palestinians dead, to which are added some 360 more deaths in the West Bank and East Jerusalem due to the actions of the security forces and Israeli settlers.