Faridabad41 minutes ago
- copy link
Faridabad. Child with parents. The doctor who performed the operation is with you.
- The child was playing near the Farrata fan. Meanwhile, due to the grip of the fan, its blade sank into the child’s head by about 3 cm.
A hospital in Faridabad performed an extraordinary surgery to remove a three-centimeter fan blade from the head of a two-year-old boy. This child was playing near the Farrata fan. Meanwhile, due to the grip of the fan, its blade sank into the child’s head by about 3 cm.
Parvatiya Colony, the family members reached Fotis Escorts Hospital with this child. There, a team of doctors led by neurosurgeon Dr. Nitish Agarwal removed the blade after a three-hour surgery. When the child was brought to the hospital, he was conscious and was leaking cerebrospinal fluid (the clear fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord) from his wound. Doctors removed the fan blade by performing a left frontal craniotomy (surgery to remove a section of bone from the skull to expose the brain). After surgery, the child was shifted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and then to the ward. He was given intravenous antibiotics for 7 days to prevent any infection. Dr. Nitish Aggarwal told that the fan blade had pierced the baby’s brain and entered inside. This was quite worrisome as it could have affected the child’s ability to speak. Along with this, there was also a possibility of bleeding and hematoma (clot) in the brain. Also, there was a risk of infection due to foreign matter in the brain. But we assessed all these challenges and carefully extracted the blade by drilling into the bone around the blade. During the surgery, care was taken not to damage the blade in any way. If this blade was not removed from the baby’s brain on time, it could affect his speech. Also, the risk of serious infections like meningitis and ventriculitis would also increase. Dr. Ajay Dogra, Facility Director, Fortis Escorts Hospital said, “It was a very challenging case considering the age and critical condition of the infant. But the team of doctors led by Dr. Nitish Agarwal saved the life of the child by giving immediate treatment.