Today, Friday, the Sudanese ambassador to Washington expressed his welcome to all mediation, stressing that Khartoum stands at the same distance from all countries.
He added, in statements to Al-Arabiya and Al-Hadath, that communication is underway with the US administration through several channels, most notably the military, pointing out that America is coordinating with the Sudanese government and its position is objective.
He also added that the Sudanese government is concerned that events will get out of control, stressing that Sudan is counting on the initiatives of the African Union.
Acting Chargé d’Affaires of the Sudanese Embassy in London, Khaled Muhammad Ali, called on the Rapid Support Forces to surrender and join the army to benefit from a general amnesty that the President of the Transitional Sovereignty Council, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, had issued a decision for those who lay down arms and join the army, considering that the defeat of the Rapid Support Forces is “inevitable.” According to what was reported by the “Arab World News Agency”.
“Victory is so close”
He said that the Sudanese army “is very close to victory in this battle … and its forces are advanced in all locations in almost all states,” stressing that all states have become safe “except for some tensions in the state of West Darfur and also the state of Khartoum.”
He also added, “The coming days will witness a breakthrough in the crisis, meaning the near end of military operations, declaring the country free of rebels, and celebrating victory.”
Ali denied what the RSF said about its control of military sites, describing this as “media propaganda”. “If they were in control of all these facilities, the issue would have ended now… The army is in control of all states, and the Sudanese know that very well,” he said.
At the same time, however, he accused the Rapid Support Forces of taking citizens as human shields to avoid army strikes.
He said, “If it weren’t for that, this battle would have ended several days ago. They have no significant presence except for some pockets in populated residential areas. They also hide in schools, universities, hospitals, and service centers, and impede the delivery of services to citizens.”
As for what is being raised about a possible meeting between Al-Burhan and Hamidti, Ali said, “The Sudanese army will decide the matter first, and then look into the details of all the political initiatives presented, but the time has not come yet.”
And he considered that the extension of the armistice is evidence that the Sudanese government is committed to improving the humanitarian conditions on the ground and taking into account the conditions of civilians so that they can provide for their daily needs and go to hospitals, and allow those who wish from foreign missions to leave the country.
Ali accused the Rapid Support Forces of belonging to the former regime and being behind that regime, an accusation that the Rapid Support also makes against the army, and says that purging the armed forces of the remnants of the former regime is a basic requirement and goal.
It is noteworthy that since the outbreak of fighting between the army and the Rapid Support Forces on April 15, several truces have been reached, but all of them failed to hold, and were punctuated by many violations.
The battles have so far killed at least 512 people and wounded thousands, according to a statement by the Sudanese Ministry of Health, but the number of victims may be much more than that as a result of the ongoing fighting.