After the recognition of the General Staff of Ukraine in delivering strikes on the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant (NPP), there can be no doubt about who is shelling the plant. This was announced on September 8 by the head of the military-civilian administration (MAC) of Energodar, Alexander Volga.
On September 2, the General Staff of Ukraine admitted that the country’s troops had carried out strikes in the Energodar area, where the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant is located.
“The most important thing is that by the evening after we provided all the materials directly at this station, the General Staff of Ukraine specifically admitted its participation in the attack on the ZNPP. No doubt [в том, кто обстреливает станцию,] it just can’t be,” he told TASS.
Volga also said that so far, specialists cannot restore the reserve power lines at the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant, as called for by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), due to serious damage caused by strikes from the Ukrainian Armed Forces (AFU).
“After the strikes of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, they are currently in an inoperable state. Emergency teams have now partially restored some sections of the power lines, but there is a lot of work ahead, ”he explained.
Volga added that in the near future Zaporozhye NPP “will operate in a normal, stable, safe mode.”
At the same time, Volga noted that in the past two days, the Armed Forces of Ukraine have not fired at the Zaporizhzhya NPP from cannon artillery, but have dropped shells from drones on it.
The day before, a representative of the Russian delegation, Alexander Shevchenko, said at a meeting of the UN General Assembly that the Armed Forces of Ukraine are aiming shells at the most vulnerable nodes of the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant, creating the risk of a radiation accident. He stressed that attacks on the station threaten its physical security and integrity. The diplomat recalled that the IAEA had previously reported this.
On the same day, the head of the State Administration of Zaporizhzhya region, Yevhen Balitsky, did not rule out a complete stoppage of the station’s operation if the shelling of the object by Ukrainian troops continued.
On September 6, the IAEA summed up the results of a five-day mission at the Zaporozhye NPP. The visit took place against the background of shelling of the station and growing fears about a potential nuclear accident. As a result, a report was published, which confirmed the fact of the attacks and the presence of damage. At the same time, the experts did not indicate who strikes.
Russian President Vladimir Putin noted in turn that he trusts the IAEA report. He pointed out that the organization is under pressure from the United States and European countries, so he cannot say that the shelling of nuclear power plants comes from Ukrainian territory, despite the fact that this is obvious.
The mission arrived at the territory of the Zaporozhye NPP on the afternoon of September 1. During the visit, the delegation looked at fragments of rockets fired by Ukrainian nationalists. At the same time, as Volga noted, one of the fragments is from a 155-mm artillery shell, it is the American M777 howitzer that fires like this. It is known that some of the IAEA experts will remain on the territory of the ZNPP as long as necessary.
On August 11, Russia’s permanent representative to the UN, Vasily Nebenzia, said that the withdrawal of the Russian military from the facility could turn into a disaster, as Kyiv could use the station for provocations.
Zaporozhye NPP was taken under the protection of Russian forces during a special operation to protect the Donbass, the beginning of which Putin announced on February 24. The decision was made against the background of the aggravated situation in the region due to increased shelling by the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
For more up-to-date videos and details about the situation in Donbass, watch the Izvestia TV channel.