The 23-year-old man from Goes who is suspected of throwing the Belgian Hakim (who drowned) into the water will hear on 5 October whether he should be handed over to Belgium. The case went to court in Amsterdam this morning. The man initially objected to his surrender but is no longer resisting, his lawyer said.
According to the Public Prosecution Service, there are no obstacles to handing over the man. All conditions have been met, according to a spokesperson.
‘Decrepit Belgian cell’
The 23-year-old Ricardo de V. from Goes no longer resists surrender to Belgium. His lawyer will let you know. Previously, the counsel said that his client was “deeply shocked by everything that has happened and would rather first relax in a Dutch cell.” “That’s better than sitting in a dilapidated Belgian cell.”
The latter seems to be happening now. “He really just wants to start the case,” said attorney Woltring. Shortly after the drama, the V. had itself reported to the police. He has already admitted that he was the one who threw Hakim into the water. “He is incredibly sorry about it, never thought this would be the result.”
Hakim Mutyaba (53) was thrown into the water early on July 17 in Ghent. That happened after a night out during the Ghent festivities. The 23-year-old De V. had been fooling around with a 25-year-old fellow citizen and Hakim, during which Hakim was thrown into the water. The two Zeelanders had met Hakim during the celebrations.
Hakim – father of two children – could not swim and drowned. The camera images would also show that Hakim is clearly fighting for his life, struggling in the water. The images would also show that the two Dutch suspects first walk through, but come back after a few seconds and look over the railing. However, they run away afterwards.
Ricardo de V. has acknowledged having something to do with the fact that Hakim ended up in the water. It would be a joke gone wrong. Footage would show him throwing Hakim over the railing. He is suspected of culpable homicide.
His 25-year-old comrade is no longer suspected of culpable homicide. The CCTV footage appears to indicate that he is not touching Hakim as he is thrown into the water. He is suspected of leaving a person behind in a helpless condition, which is called ‘guilty omission’ in Belgium.
The 25-year-old has been out of pre-trial detention for some time. He was released on bail a month ago. He will also have to appear in Belgium.
Watch our news videos in the playlist below:
Free unlimited access to Showbytes? Which can!
Log in or create an account and never miss a thing from the stars.