Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky said on November 24 that next week authorities would show him a “new comprehensive plan for mobilization” in Ukraine.
“As for the issue of mobilization, you know how complex and very relevant it is,” he said at a briefing, the recording was published by the Ukrainian news agency UNIAN on its Telegram channel.
According to the President of Ukraine, the Kyiv authorities “have been given a complex task,” Gazeta.Ru added.
“Today there was a comprehensive report on what the challenges are, how to solve the issue, what to do, what legislative changes, who should do it,” Zelensky added.
At the same time, the Ukrainian leader did not name the exact number of Ukrainian citizens expected to be mobilized.
Earlier that day, former deputy head of the Ukrainian Ministry of Defense Anna Malyar acknowledged problems with weapons in the army and called for mobilization. She also pointed out the advantage of the Russian Armed Forces in the conflict zone, since there are more people in the ranks of the Russian army, while the Ukrainian army is inferior in number.
Prior to this, on November 20, the Foreign Intelligence Service of the Russian Federation reported that the United States and Great Britain recommended that the Ukrainian leadership reduce the draft age to 17 and raise it to 70, as well as carry out additional mobilization of women. The country’s Defense Minister Rustem Umerov proposed that the Verkhovna Rada study the possibility of lowering the minimum age for conscription into the army.
On November 8, the Verkhovna Rada supported Zelensky’s bills on extending martial law in the country and general mobilization until February 14, 2024. Before this, on October 25, a member of the Verkhovna Rada Committee on National Security, Sergei Rakhmanin, said that mobilization in Ukraine could be intensified, including due to losses at the front.
Martial law has been in force in Ukraine since February 2022, at the same time Zelensky signed a law on the general mobilization of citizens, according to which men aged 18 to 60 are not allowed to leave the country. This summer, the country’s authorities expanded the list of citizens subject to mobilization.
The special operation to protect Donbass, the start of which was announced by Russian President Vladimir Putin on February 24, 2022, continues. The decision to hold it was made against the backdrop of an aggravation of the situation in the region due to shelling by the Ukrainian military.